Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Dad's Ubuntu Computer

My dad's been using an old computer ever since he started using computers. Recently, he's been using an old Pentium III Compaq with only 256MB of RAM. He keeps saying it's good enough for him, but then he complains that it's slow, that Google Earth doesn't work right, and has just recently been complaining about weird browser virus popups. Needless to say, it runs Windows.

So I got fed up with Dad wasting a lot of his time just waiting on his old computer, so I got a gutted computer case and ordered a few parts. The parts cost approx $300 total and assembly and testing took about 1.5 hours (one-and-a-half episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation). Installing Ubuntu took no time at all! After the hard drive was partitioned, I went to the kitchen. When I came back, it was done! Like, in two or three minutes!

This computer is incredibly snappy with Ubuntu on it. You can go here for the photos I took while I was putting it all together, and you can check here for video demonstrating how fast it boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment